The Voice of the Shepherd
(Grow Your Faith follow up to “The Voice” blog
“…and the sheep listen to his voice.
He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”
John 10:3b NIV
In John 10, Jesus continues to speak to the Jewish people in parables, or story form. In this chapter, He tells the story of the shepherd and his flock.
- Read John 10:1-18. Make a list of everything you learn about the shepherd and his role.
- Now list every response of the sheep.
- Who are the others mentioned in this story and what do they do?
- In verse 11, Jesus identified Himself as the Good Shepherd. Look again at verses 11-15. What is the difference between the hired hand and the Good Shepherd?
- What does that say to you personally about Jesus?
- In verse 16, Jesus said He has other sheep not of that pen. If He is speaking to Jewish people, who do you think He is referring to as ‘other sheep’?
- What is promised for the other sheep?
- The personal question for us all is, whose voice are you listening to? Whose voice do you follow?
Think about those questions as you ask God to reveal the answer. Listen for His voice for He will never lead you astray. Does what you think you are hearing line up with something you think God would say? Does it line up with what the Bible says? There are times when we try to justify our actions by twisting what we think God would say about it. Be careful and be sure when you relate what you think God said. Measure it by the standard He has given us in His word, the Holy Bible.
Jesus says “the sheep listen to my voice and follow me”.